Welcome to 5th Grade
The exceptional fifth grade team strives to build good relationships with students and parents. We expect students to be excellent problem solvers, writers, readers, scientists and historians. Our goals for students are that all of them will pass math, reading and science STAAR tests as well as maintain a positive attitude about learning.MathDuring the year, your child will learn various math concepts.The following math concepts will be covered: whole numbers (add, subtract, multiply, divide and place value), decimals (add, subtract and place value), fractions, common factors, prime and composite numbers, rounding, estimating, patterns, geometry, measurement, probability, central tendency, graphs, equations and expressions. Some concepts may be more challenging than others. Each student can succeed and do well in 5th grade math by working hard every day.Social StudiesIn fifth grade, the students are led on a historical adventure through the United States. The adventure begins with the first Americans and continues through the United States today. Multiple research opportunities are given throughout the year. By researching and writing about what they are learning in United States History, the students retain more information and are excited to explore and write about their findings.Units of study include:1) The Land and Early People2) Exploration3) The English Colonies4) The American Revolution5) A New Nation6) Civil War Times7) The Twentieth Century8) The United States TodayReading
Being a great reader makes all other subjects easier. Throughout the year, students will be developing their reading skills through novels, passages, and other various texts. Fifth grade students will:
- Identify and analyze author’s purpose and organization
- Expand vocabulary by understanding prefixes, suffixes, Latin root words, and multiple meanings
- Distinguish between main idea and details and produce a paraphrased summary of a passage
- Connect, compare, and contrast different texts
- Sequence events
- Identify cause, effect, fact, and opinion
- Analyze characters, plot, and setting
- Recognize the different genres and the features of each
- Read with fluency
- Draw inferences, conclusions, and generalizations
In fifth grade science, the students will draw inferences, analyze and interpret science experiments, learn science vocabulary words, remember lab safety rules and apply critical thinking skills.
The following areas will be covered:
- Earth Science
- Life Science
- Physical Science
- Nature of Science
As each area is covered, the students will complete science experiments using proper lab safety procedures.WritingWriting in fifth grade is based on five criteria that are considered equally weighted in the scoring of each composition. The rubrics (English and Spanish) and a holistic scoring process are used when scoring writing samples.FOCUS AND COHERENCE:
- Is a central idea or controlling theme clearly stated or implied in the composition?
- Does all of the writing contribute to the central idea?
- Does the writing have a sense of completeness?
- Is there coherence within and between paragraphs?
DEVELOPMENT OF IDEAS:
- Is the information written in a manner that makes sense?
- Are ideas linked in sentences, and sentences connected to make well-organized paragraphs, all with the ultimate goal of having a smooth transition from sentence to sentence and paragraph to paragraph?
- Is there depth and substance for a limited number of unified ideas?
- Is each idea interesting and authentic, and does it deepen the reader’s understanding?
- Does everything in the composition contribute to the presentation of ideas?
- Does the writing give the reader a sense of the writer’s identity?
- Does the writing show a unique perspective?
- Do the conventions contribute to the fluency of the composition?
- Does the sentence structure enhance the overall clarity of the paper?