"In the end, it's extra effort that separates a winner from second place. But winning takes a lot more than that, too. It starts with complete command of the fundamentals. Then it takes desire, determination, discipline, and self-sacrifice. And Finally, it takes a great deal of love, fairness and respect for your fellow man. Put all these together, and even if you don't win, how can you lose?"
- Jesse Owens
Girls Athletic Program Over all….
Unlike physical education, girls’ athletics requires high intensity conditioning and physical training with in-depth skill development in Volleyball, Basketball, Track, and Cross Country. This course emphasizes participation in team sports, leadership, and sportsmanship.
A doctor’s physical is required before entering the program. Golf and Tennis are sports offered outside of the athletic class.
What we expect from Lady Bulldog Athletes and Players:
- To give your best effort every day.
- To achieve academic excellence.
- To display integrity and character.
- To be on time and communicate.
- To accept responsibility for your own choices.
What you can expect from the Lady Bulldog Coaches:
- To treat your daughter like our daughter
- To be positive, energetic and enthusiastic. To make athletics fun.
- To display integrity and character at all times.
- To be committed to being the best coaches and teachers of the sports offered.
- To teach life lessons from each sport.
Expectations of Parents:
- Understanding that winning is not everything.
- Encourage her to work hard and do her best!
- Be Positive with your daughter!
- Insist on good grades!
- Be a good fan in the stands!
Workout/Practice Expectations – How you workout and practice determines your success in athletics, how you will play and if you will play in a game. Be sure to focus before you take the court for class and practice. Leave all your problems out of the dressing room and off the court.
- Athletes are expected to be on time to the athletic class and practice every day. There are no excuses for being late. The coach will decide on penalties for any athlete late to class or practice.
- All athletes have to wear appropriate workout clothes – Practice clothes are issued to the students at the beginning of the school year.
- Jewelry is not allowed in class, practice or games. Hair must be up and out of the face at all times.
- Learn the policies and procedures for class, proper dressing room etiquette, drills for practice, and ask questions if you do not understand. Hustle at all times.
- Do not gossip or plan social events during class or practice. This is not social time.
- Coaches will help shape student –athletes by clearly communicating the goals, expectations, and rules of both the broader Waller Community and the athletic teams.
- Within a positive environment that every student –athlete can enjoy, coaches will stress the importance of each student-athlete’s contribution to the team, and provide the coaching and instruction necessary to guide each student –athlete toward a better understanding of their event and consequently their maximum potential.
- Coaches will guide student-athletes to a mature view of competition that embraces an appropriate perspective of both victory and defeat.
- To encourage students to become lifelong athletes and understand proper health, nutrition, and body maintenance.
Boys Athletic Program Over all….
Success in our athletics programs starts with a core group of experienced and knowledgeable coaches.
“Heath Byrd is the Boys’ Athletics Coordinator, and coaches’ football, basketball, and track. Laurence Christie is our cross country and soccer coach, and he also coaches track. Rosendo Mozqueda-Godinez, Matt Ward, and Santiago Martinez, will all be coaching football, basketball, and track. Jordan Rush coaches football and track.”
At WJH athletics, our primary goal is to produce quality student athletes who understand the importance of succeeding in the classroom as well as in the athletic arena. In addition to being good athletes, we strive to help our students become good citizens and good people. Paramount importance is placed on student athletes being successful in the classroom. Our expectation is that each student athlete will perform to the best of their ability in the classroom. Nothing less will be accepted. As a staff, we know that one day athletic competition will end, but the knowledge gained through a quality education will never go away.