WHS UIL Makes History at State Meet
The Waller High School (WHS) Academic UIL Team once again broke records at the State UIL Academic Meet. WHS walked away with two teams earning plaques and medals, six students receiving medals, and two State Champions. The team accumulated 61 sweepstakes points, beating the 2004 record of 42 points. At the end of the State Meet, WHS UIL was ranked fifth out of all 284 schools in Conference 5A.
WHS senior Nicole Garza became the first student to compete at State all four years of high school. Each year she led the Spelling Team to the finals. Another first, two students won State Champion in their respective events; Julian Juarez in Computer Applications and Grace Stewart in Copy Editing. WHS UIL has never had two State Champions in the same year. Since 1963, WHS has had six State Champions with the last being in 2012.
“Having one State Champ is nearly impossible, having two in one year is beyond phenomenal,” Waller ISD Advanced Academics Coordinator Scotty Johnson said.
At State, students had some of their biggest supporters by their sides, their coaches. Thank you to Johnson, UIL Coordinator Roy Weesner, Current Events Coach Justin Levy, Journalism Coach Brittany Ortega, Computer Applications Coach Elizabeth Shivers, and Accounting Coach Tyler Sullivan. They have already begun preparing students for next year with recruitment, materials, and summer practices.
“Something special about the Waller UIL Academic Team, even though they do such diverse events and work on completely different skills, they still are one team, one family,” Johnson said. “They support each other, help each other, and care about each other.”
The UIL State Meet has five Speech and Debate events remaining that will take place May 29-30 at the University of Texas at Austin.
- Journalism (second): Angel Ratcliffe, Ariana Seeloff, and Grace Stewart
- Spelling (third): Nicole Garza, Lucas Johnson, Rosa Sanchez, and Helmut Ulrich
- Current Events (fourth): Mitchell Buzek, Jonathan Cruz, Blake Green, Iris Reyes, and Madison Rudel
- Computer Applications: Julian Juarez (State Champion)
- Copy Editing: Grace Stewart (State Champion)
- Spelling: Nicole Garza (fourth)
- News Writing: Ariana Seeloff (fourth)
- Current Events: Jonathan Cruz (fifth)
- Feature Writing: Angel Ratcliffe (sixth)